Famous North Mayo People
Mayo has produced many people who have become famous in a variety of fields.
▪ Sabina Coyne-Higgins – wife of the ninth President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins
▪ Mark Mellett – Deputy Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces
▪ Pat Rabbitte – Labour Party TD & former leader of the Labour Party
▪ Michael Davitt – Irish nationalist campaigner and founder of the Land League
▪ Ray Foley – Radio and TV presenter
▪ Delia Murphy – Ballad Queen
▪ Charles Haughey – Former Taoiseach of Ireland
▪ Monsignor Horan – Driving force behind Knock Airport
▪Enda Kenny – Former Taoiseach of Ireland
▪ Mick Lally – Television and theatre actor
▪ John MacBride – One of the sixteen leaders executed following the 1916 Easter Week Rising.
▪ Kathleen Florence Lynn – Suffragette, Labour Activist, Nationalist and Doctor.
▪ John Moore – First president of Connacht
▪ George Moore – Novelist, poet, dramatist and artist
▪ Grainne Mhaol – Irish chieftan and ‘Sea Queen’ of Connacht
▪ Patrick Nally – Irish Republican honoured with the ‘Nally Stand’ in Croke Park
▪ Mary Robinson – First woman president of Ireland
▪ Louis Walsh – Music manager and TV panellist